Thursday, May 30, 2013

Miller's birthday!

We are now a family of four!  I can hardly believe baby Miller is here and almost two weeks old.  It has been a CRAZY two weeks, that's for sure, but I still wanted to make sure I got a post in about his birthday before it became a distant memory.

I woke up on Sunday morning around 8:15 not feeling quite "right" but also not feeling like I was going to have a baby that day.  We'd had a busy weekend and spent most of the day Saturday recovering from Ellie's dance recital the night before. I was fully prepared to be at my doctor's appointment Monday afternoon.
 I took a shower at 9:30 and was 80% sure we were going to church!  Around 10 am, I started cramping but really didn't think too much about it until the pain went away, then came back again.  And again, and again and again, and they were getting stronger.  So I started timing them.  They were exactly 5-6 minutes apart!  I was in full denial because I didn't want to get my hopes up and be sent home from the hospital.  So I "labored" at home (not really knowing it at the time) until noon.  I called Holly, my midwife and left her a message telling her I was 90% sure this was it!  She was in church but texted me back telling me to go on to the hospital and get checked.  We called my parents and they decided to come on to Jackson and said even if it wasn't "baby time" that they would hang out with us and just see what happened.  Don's mom came over to watch Ellie and we hit the road!  We kissed her and told her we were going to the hospital and I showed Don's mom where her Big Sis outfit was just in case.  I didn't think they would be coming that day, but I am glad I showed here where it was anyway!  Looking back now, it all happened so fast that I didn't have time to really think about that being our last time as a family of three.  But she was SO sweet and SO excited that it made leaving her much easier.

So we left for the hospital right at noon.  That 50 minute drive to Jackson was NOT fun.  I am convinced we hit every red light on the way.  Every time I'd have another contraction Don would say "another one already?" They just kept getting closer and closer together. So we got there and up to L&D triage right around 1 pm.  They had a little lady volunteer come down to get us and take us back to L&D.  I remember with Ellie they had an orderly come down with a wheelchair.  I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to walk all the way up there, but no wheelchair came this time.  Now that I think about it I am not sure how I did it!  Once we got to our room I changed into my gown and was hooked up to the monitors.  Mrs. Terri, the best nurse ever walked in just as I was hoping she would and I was so relieved.  She decided to check me right away just to see where we were.   If I had not been in the bed already I would have fallen to the ground when she told me I was at a 7!  We were all in pure disbelief!  We were having a baby, that day, and SOON!!!!

After that, things moved super fast.  I was feeling all kinds of pain from the contractions and pressure.  The pain was bad, but not unbearable.  I knew I wanted an epidural, but really wasn't sure if there was time for one.  The anesthesiologist came pretty quick and after THREE TRIES and 20 CC's of lidocaine he finally got it in.  That was not fun.  I probably could have gone without it after that ordeal.  They started my penicillin for Group B, and we were ready to go!

Holly came in to say hi, break my water and check me after we got settled, probably around 2:15 or so.  There was meconium in my water but she said not to get worried.  I wanted SO badly to go without any problems or issues and this just tore me apart when she told me.  One of Ellie's issues was meconium aspiration and I really didn't want him to have to endure the same thing.  She assured me that she wasn't going to worry and just have the NICU come suction him after delivery. After she broke my water she checked me and said I was complete.  HOLY COW.  SO fast!  But she said she was going to come back in 45 minutes or so to wait for him to move down more on his own.  I told her I didn't want to push forever and she agreed.  Little did we know that he was moving down super quick and was ready to go about 15 minutes later.

After about 25 minutes, Miller Lee Pitt was born!  3:20 pm.  9 pounds even and 21 inches long.  I could hardly believe how fast and easy it all was compared to Ellie's birth.  He came out screaming, he turned pink, and he was BIG!  I was so relieved.

After the birth everyone got to come into the room and see us, hold the baby and just enjoy the time that I had wanted so bad when Ellie was born.  They took her to the NICU so soon after her birth that we didn't get to enjoy that special time. I was so grateful things were different this time around.

Ellie got there just in time to meet her brother and many of our family members were there waiting as well.  We were so happy he was here, healthy and PERFECT!  He looked so much like his sister and we fell in love immediately!!

I am so thankful for my little family.  My heart could just explode I love them so much!

1 comment: